Author: Claudia Gray
Publication Date: June 1, 2008
About the Book: She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.
Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him.
"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would."
But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.
My Thoughts: I just (like, minutes ago) finished Hourglass, the third book in this series and it was AWESOME! For sure my favorite so far. I had planned to review it here but there is no way I could without being so incredibly spoilery that you either couldn't read it or would hate me. Since I've not reviewed book one I thought I'd start there. I've yet to read the final book Afterlife (it was just released this month) but I am getting it signed at the Dark Days tour stop on Friday :)
***I try to keep my reviews spoiler free. There is one little fact that the summary only alludes to but I couldn't find a way to work around it. It won't ruin the book but it will reveal one of the twists.***
Evernight has so many awesome aspects that I just don't know where to start. I picked five to give you a feel for the awesomeness of the book.
1. The idea of Evernight Academy: Seriously... I just don't by all the vampire novels where the immortal, super strong, super skilled vampire decides that going back to high school is the thing to do! But... a school for vampires to learn how to fit in with modern society? Awesome!
2. Bianca: She is thrown totally out of her element and doesn't fit in at all. Her life is totally changing and she faces decisions on a number of huge issues. Basically, she's a teenage girl! I love it when students can relate to a character even though they may be in a supernatural surrounding :) Bianca deals with friends, boys, parents, school... all things my students are dealing with!
3. The "supporting cast" of schoolmates: Oh my goodness did they ever crack me up. Remember, these are vampires who have been alive for a LONG time but not always in society. Ranulf is my favorite for comic relief but Balthazar is yummy :) (SIDE NOTE: Balthazar will have his own novel soon! It's a companion to the series!)
4. A "born" vampire: This idea totally intrigues me. It gets way more complicated and complex as the series progresses and I can't wait to see where it ends up. Don't worry, there's no freaky "gnawing it's way out of the womb" stuff (a la Twilight) here!
5. Lucas: There is no way I could NOT mention "the boy." He is, of course, totally adorable... but that's not all. He wants so desperately to do the right thing. You just gotta love a character who lives out what he believes. The relationship between Lucas and Bianca is fabulous too!
If you've not read Evernight I suggest giving it a try. Each book is better than the last. I cannot wait to start Afterlife!