Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by
I know we've all got them... those silly things that drive you crazy about books/bookish things. I'm focusing more on physical books and stores and not so much content/story (that's a whole different can of worms!) Also, I am aware that authors have very little or nothing to do with book covers/book format so this is nothing against them or the content of their books!
1. When they change the covers of books part way through the series: I don't think I'm alone when I say I want my books in a seres to match! I LOVE my Demon's Lexicon series by Sarah Rees Brennan but it kills me that I'd have to buy the paperback of book one if I want it to match the rest! This brings me to my next pet peeve...
2. Series that start out as paperback but then change to hardcover: I REALLY want my whole series to be the same! I'm looking at you The Immortals series.
3. Movie covers on books: This seems simple to me.... the movie cover goes on the movie. Don't put it on my book! As you may imagine from the above rants... this is especially annoying in a series!
4. Stickers on the cover: Those "easy to remove" and "leave no residue" stickers are lies. Lies, lies, lies!
5.Bookstores that organize their books using some mystery system: If I have to look in ten places for one book I'm gonna give up and go somewhere else. This may be the librarian in me.
6. YA books in the children's section or mixed in with intermediate books: Dear store, I know you have limited space, however, there is no way my teenage students are going to the children's section to look for books. Please move them. Sincerely, Me.
7. Reprints of books with title changes: Again, this may be the librarian in me but it is incredibly difficult to keep up with title changes. Students don't know it's a new title or they get confused and all excited because they think there's a new book. It's like "Who's on First" every time I try to explain it!
8. Covers that make the characters look younger than they are: The original cover for Merchant of Death, the first book in the Pendragon series, was like this. The kid is supposed to be this popular 14 year old basketball star and he looks about ten! Totally turned my students off! Thank goodness for the new covers!
9. Oddly shaped books: This sometimes bothers me and sometimes I like it. For example, I LOVE The Lover's Dictionary. It fits so nicely in my hand :) I think it's the really narrow and really wide books that annoy me.
10. Book jackets that have questionable textures: The first time I picked up Fallen by Lauren Kate I thought the cover felt so cool! It was actually one of the things that drew me to buy the book. About a chapter in I had to take the book jacket off! I couldn't stand it!!!!!
So, there you have it. My top ten superficial things that annoy me about books/bookstores. There were just too many to include content related pet peeves (i.e. CRAZY spellings of names!) Apparently I just get annoyed easily ;)